School History

The Lysterfield area is at the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges.  Lysterfield Primary School opened on 9 April 1877 on two acres of land donated by W.S. Lyster on the south side of Wellington Road.  The school celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2002. The school was first known as S.S.1866 Narre Warren North. Its name was changed to Lysterfield in 1879. In 1920 the present old school building was erected on the site of the original school. On the 24 September 1921 school began with 15 pupils. A new classroom, office and corridor were added in 1966.  A link with the original school were the pine trees which surounded the grounds. The images of the pine trees are worn today by the students wearing uniforms which include pine trees as part of the LPS logo. In 1996 Lysterfield Primary School had 175 children. In 1997 the school moved to our current site.